Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No, hon, you can keep the shoes on...

Being from the south, I know a little something about wearing sandals. I have worn beat-up, run-down petite thongs of cow's hide in almost every situation imaginable, save maybe funerals and marathons. I have graduated college,
ridden horse-back through the deserts of Giza,

hiked mountains on the dead sea, sold out medium-sized coffee joints in very small towns,

had run-ins with a few metal poles,

became a Peace Corps volunteer,

been to weddings and actually just solved the Rhiemann-Zeta hypothesis, all while porting some slick John Kerry namesakes. Now, granted, at this point, I have some pretty interesting-looking feet (just check out that big toenail), but like my buddy Rayan says, “this guy's feet tell stories.” You could surmise I wear sandals so much because I've lived on the beach for half my life now, but I'm leaning more towards airport security -

Security guard: Sir, I'll need you to remove your shoes, plea-
MT: *slides backwards out of sandals and pirouettes with Michael Jackson crotch-grab*
Security guard: Wow. That was actually pretty cool. Damn, how much do you fly, son?

So, anyway, as I was saying, flip-flops and I get on well enough. Here in Togo, the chaussure of choice for the paysans are Nigerian made plastic shower sandals, called 'tapettes'. Now, to be fair, I was even a little cautious of them when I first arrived. I had my leather deals and didn't feel like changing. But, as things tend to do, they broke and all I had to fall back on was a blue and white spotted pair of taps that my host brother Tikwi had given me during stage. Begrudgingly, I put them on, but quickly found out why everyone here wears them. First, they're only slightly more expensive than going barefoot, and secondly, they are actually pretty damn comfortable. And Togolese can do ANYTHING in tapettes – play football, ride motorcycles, carry pounds and pounds of yams on their heads – I began to feel a bit more integrated the day I started biking through Lome traffic in a wife-beater and tapettes.

So, where am I going with all of this, eh? Well, I've recently found out that there seems to be one thing Togolese don't do wearing tapettes. Togolese do not rob people while wearing sandals. They don some off brand sneakers (adimas, punas) to hop 10ft. compound walls and slither through kitchen windows. We found the tracks, we have the proof (well, that and all our shit is gone). Now I've been robbed before, quite a number of times, but I think we met the ballsiest (read: hungriest) thief in Togo. Me and 9 others were sleeping at a transit house in Lome after a night of festivities and awoke to find a few articles missing. Turns out that after our sneakered perp crept into the house, he deftly pilfered our precious gadgets from besides our sleeping heads. Seriously, props to you, ballsy thief. There were 10 of us in the house, 7 of us large yovo men. Why, oh why, couldn't he just have made a little bit of noise? Because he wasn't wearing tapettes, thats why. Or he was a ninja. Either way, I made out alright, though – he only made off with my phone - I didn't even have my wallet with me.

It had actually been stolen earlier in the day.

10 bucks says that guy wasn't wearing sandals, either.

No comments: