Monday, May 24, 2010

Togo = Developed


Winning the War on Development since 2008

We're approaching the end here at Determined to Tan. It's been a long, hot, long, itchy, uncomfortable, dirty, hot, long couple of years and in just a few short days I wont have the right to bitch quite as much anymore. However, fearing a lack of comedic material that may ensue I've decided to spite my good fortune and bitch even more when I get back to the states. Do what you love, love what you do.

In any case, I did it! I got this place up and running! Togo is developed! Time to get the hell out! In truncated form, because I'm over my novella phase, here are 11 things I sure thought were swell - because prime numbers are just better. With pictures, so you'll actually have a reason to keep reading.

11. Coiffeur 'Wait and See', the worst haircut of my young life-



10. Finding a zoo in Lome-



9. Afternoons at my local bar. (This is my hundredth novel finished in country--)



8. Receiving my third, absolutely legal, concurrent American passport. Its gotta be some kind of record--


7. Accra - I think this one is self-explanatory


6. Steven's Visit



5. Falling into the Latrine

4. Arriving in Sierra Leone and boating to Freetown from the airport



3. Getting hit by a moto and getting a free vacation to South Africa

2. Rayan and I taking a 10 hour moto trek through the Togolese brush, up a mountain in Benin and crossing back over in one day.


1. Leaving! Saturday, May 22nd its official!

Down on the coast, we say that the second happiest day in a man's life is the day he buys a boat. The happiest day in his life is when he sells it. That's a bit of what its like - I'm glad I came, I had a blast and abused every privilege there was, but even gladder to be getting the hell out! Now, off to find a few cheesecakes and a hot shower.


This picture serves no purpose. But damn, thems a lot of chickens.

2 comments:

Steven said...

All those hot nights we slept in the same bed only got me to 6th place? Should-I've asked more often how you like your eggs cooked? Your coffee made? Your balls cupped?

Spinner said...

you're right. you weren't responsive to my needs. seeing as I will be chez you in a few days, we'll go in order - overeasy, black as my conscience, gently with a playful tug every now and again. Lets see if we can move you up that list.