Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Few Photos

Sometimes I get all caught up being funny and edgy, that I forget to actually write anything of actual merit. This idea is a derivative from a night of drinking cold-ish beers around a molded plastic table down at the Yovo support group's regular watering hole, Le Prestige. It was the average night of poignant culturally offensive jokes deftly interwoven with subversive political commentary, when I noticed that if I were to compress everything I say within a day, I could squeeze all valuable nuggets of info into about two sentences.

Now don't think Im turning soft on you - far from it - maybe its just time for some perspective into the life of a transient pessimist. Inherent entertainment value, you ask? Ill give it 4/10, but if you are reading this, you either really like me, or you're my mother (Love you, mom), so you'll cherish it regardless.

Ive been stewing slowly for the past 6 weeks in a small-ish mountain town called Agou-Akoumawou. This is where it looks like on a map -
This is what it looks like from the top of Mount Agou, the highest point in Togo, 1000m above the sea.


Here is some of my Togolese family - Maman wakes up every morning around 4am and starts frying Kanami (fried fish). My first memories of Africa will be forever entwined with the sound of bad techno and speaking in tongues ('praisethalawd' and woezolo - 'welcome' in ewe - sound damn close) from the neighbors radio and the smell of coconut oil crackling outside my window.


(you know, Im an IT guy, and I still cant figure out how to position these pictures acceptably - bah)

And here's a Swedish Fish Sandwich juxtaposed on top of an Arab. Call it post-modern if you will.


Stay a little longer and I might just make a joke about a Polack. Keep it tuned here-

4 comments:

SE said...

just when i begin flirting with atempts to engage in civil communications with you, you choose to write things like, "please don't let me know if you diddle my brother" on my facebook wall. first of all, how do you ever expect to get a date if you keep the word "diddle" within your sexual vocabulary? secondly, thank you for implying that your ex-girlfriend is eagerly waiting to jump your sibling's bones...and lastly, we both know you can't tan. give up the dream matt...it's time to let it go.

seriously, can we communicate without the overt wit or traces of cynical sarcasm? i would prefer that because that's the guy i truly enjoyed talking to...

i hope you are well and i'm really enjoying the pictures you have posted on the blog. i didn't realize you had one until today :)

SE said...

and it bothers me that i misspelled "attempts." had to acknowledge the error and prove i know better.

Spinner said...

yeesh, when did it fall into the 'sub-civil' category? I dont remember us ever doing anything that nasty to each other...

I know, you get it, Im funny and witty and a jaded asshole and all that-- sorry for banging that into you everytime we interact. I think I do it to everyone now.

So's anyway, I hope you are doing fine and I hope you enjoy the pictures and I hope you keep talking to me. And I didnt even noticed you misspelled attempts. Those double consonants are a bitch anyway, dont feel too bad.

SE said...

i suppose completely avoiding another human being can possess certain uncivil qualities...but all that aside, i will talk to you and i will continue to monitor your blog. africa sounds like something in a dream...or a book. ever read The Poisonwood Bible?