Saturday, August 23, 2008

Angry Woodlands Creatures

He spoke first, without looking up.

"You know, I remember the last time I was treated like an eight year old. I didn't appreciate it then, either."

"Yeah, and when was that?" She asked.

He took a quick pull from his cigarette and blew the smoke to the side. He turned and met her gaze with a cocksure grin.

"When I was eight."


...and there is about everything I need to write about our pre-service training (we call that 'stage', pronounced 'stahj'). As of last Thursday, I and the other 30 or so folks I flew out with 3 months ago are now official volunteers. Yippee. Festivities were held at our country director's house, (dressing to the 9's, speaking local language for the ceremony on Togolese national TV, eating brochettes and drinking beer) which was followed by festivities at large in Lome (less ceremony, more beer and stripper pole dancing). So, in a few photos, we had --

The look of success

Ethnic deversity and incredible tailoring

Dancing, dancing, dancing


Funny Faces


Sexy Faces


Asian Faces


More Dancing


And in a stunning surprise appearance, we even had a celebrity or two crash the party --





I think Qaddafi was celebrating the re-establishment of political ties, but hey, I'll take what we get.


Also of interest, the following morning I learned what it feels like to have a pissed-off badger trying to claw its way out of your head through your eyeballs.

And yeah, absolutely, I'd do it all again.


Off to my new home now--

No comments: