Saturday, August 30, 2008

Could I commute to Accra from here?

Its been a few days now, and I feel that I've gotten settled in a bit. I live in a quartier called Avenoue, which is on the outskirts of Lome. Lome itself is separated by a long...(erm, maybe 'lagoonish-thing' describes it) 'lagoonish-thing' that divides it into basically downtown and the suburbs. Something near 900,000 people call this place home and like it or not, it is where the vast majority of business is done in Togo. Compared to Accra in Ghana (the "Golden City" as Ive heard it called), or even Coutenou in Benin, Lome is (so I hear) not as beautiful or developed, but is still not without its own charms. It smells like salt water and motor oil and even has a cool night every now and again. If Accra is NYC, then Lome is kinda like the Trenton of West Africa.





Here Is my house. I live in a compound with another family, who stay in the larger house across from mine. I have, by all accounts, a huge house for a volunteer and it has been a task trying to furnish it.


Lookit that porch - PC must have known I was southern -- When I buy some rocking chairs, it is ON.


There are lots of other rooms, but they're boring and empty. Can anyone fit a few mattresses into a flat rate box?




This is Sami. Hes 4, from visiting from Burkina. I have never heard a kid who talked so much. I have never met a kid I wanted to hear talk so much, at that - his French is immaculate.


The main avenue of Avenoue (ha).

Well, there ya go. I promise to return with something that will incite a little more emotion, but until then, welcome to my home.

No comments: